Monday, October 26, 2009

I Wanna Throw My Name in the Ole LPGA Commish Hat

The LPGA commissioner search has been an odyssey of name dropping and names dropping out from contention for the job that seemingly no one wants.  A couple more names dropped out this week, according to Golfweek, over salary demands and interest in the big task ahead.  The man that remains as the primary candidate is still USGA Chief Business Officer Pete Bevacqua.  (I'm predicting that he'll take the job.)
But, the reporting on the commissioner search always has a new name coming in and dropping off of the list.  I guess people have been coming to Waggle Room to read the post that invites them to apply for the position.
One of them might be Johnathan Wells, who Randall Mell reports has emerged as a serious candidate.  The guy has almost zero golf background, but he's got a chance for the job because of other stuff that he brings to the table.
That said, I've decided that I want to be a midnight candidate for the LPGA commissioner job.  I've already laid out my vision for the LPGA Tour, most succinctly (and without the least obscenities) in a post just after the rumors of Carolyn Bivens' imminent ouster surfaced.  So, how I perceive the Tour and its relationships are known.
But, some of you might say, "Ryan!  You're 26!  You can't do this job, you blogger idiot."
Well, that's ageism right there, hypothetical pal.  And there is precedent that youth can lead.  Luke Ravenstahl is the now 29 year old mayor of the fine city of Pittsburgh, PA.  He assumed the office after the former mayor passed away in 2006 - making him 26 at the time of his installation.  The guy had no family pedigree in politics.  Was just interested in helping his city.  So, it can be done young.
I have a business degree, so I know a lot about finances and stuff.  My Masters is in public policy with an emphasis on public leadership and finance.  Since the LPGA is a not-for-profit organization, that fits in really well with my expertise.  Also, having worked a day job for a nonprofit for three years, I'm empathetic with just how crazy it can be when the bottom line is a little murky.
Also, I actually have some golf experience.  There's a lot to be said for knowing how the golf industry operates.  And besides, I could always hire some supporting staff that could help fill in the gaps.
Finally, as Dr. Evil said in the original Austin Powers movie, "I'm hip.  I'm with it."  While I won't proceed to display the Macarena for you, I was considering making a Real World-style audition tape to accompany my resume.  I mean, it can't hurt, right?
Woo!  I wanna be LPGA commissioner!  Yeah!  PBR!
No, seriously.  To the good folks at the LPGA Tour: if it's not too late, drop me a line, and I'm in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stack & Tilt Golf Swing Dvds Pros are switching to improve their games, now you can too with the Stack & Tilt Method! Order Now!
Click, Joint and Earn $1.50 Per Refferral
banner
 

About

Text

The Best Golf Blog Information Copyright © 2009 Community is Designed by Bie